Lemony, coconutty, sweet and healthy – these are some yummy guilt-free treats!
Not my own creation, admittedly, but I’ve posted the video recipe on my Instagram and thought it’d be rude not to share the goods here too! Gluten-free, refined-sugar free (and vegan too if you substitute the honey for maple syrup), so real crowd pleasers!
The recipe comes from the BodyBoss Nutrition guide – it’s full of tons of healthy snacks / mains / breakfasts etc that are simple and easy to follow… AND, if you like their food you’ll really love the fitness guide; home workouts, 30 odd minutes with minimal equipment needed.
For the minute, give these a whirl and let me know what you think!
- 1½ tbsp Chia Seeds
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (100g) oat flour (blend up oats to make the flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup (45g) shredded coconut, plus another 2 tbs
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbs apple sauce
- ¼ cup (65ml) honey
- 6 dates, pitted
- Preheat your oven to 300F / 150 degrees celsius. Toss the chia seeds and lemon juice into a small bowl and mix together. Leave to rest for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Blitz oats in a high spend blender to make the oat flour. Top oat flour, baking powder, salt and ¾ cup shredded coconut into a medium bowl and mix together. Add in lemon zest and mix well.
- Combine melted coconut oil, apple sauce and honey in another bowl, then mix through the chia seeds. Add in finely chopped dates and mix. Tip this mix into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour and flatten mixture (to approx 1.5cm) into a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking tin. Sprinkle and gently press the extra coconut into the mixture.
- Pop in the oven for 25-28 minutes until the edges become golden brown and your kitchen smells amazing! Cut, while warm, into 16 squares.